Wednesday, October 8, 2014

Keep Chugging Along!

The photographer's "Tax Season" as I call it is just getting underway for the year. I call it that because so so many families contact me during this time for family portraits which is wonderful and I love doing it, but man, its busy! Most of my weekends are filled with photo shoots then my weeks are filled with editing of those shoots and not a whole lot of time for everything else! I love photography, but sometimes really wish I had a slower pace of life and a little more time on my hands to do things like this:

 
I got this absolutely awful dresser last week at the VV for 10 bucks. My friend even made the comment, "You paid for that?!" But after a little sanding, some chalk paint and a bunch of money spent on cool knobs its now an adorable little shabby chic piece of furniture that will hopefully fetch way more than $10!
 
I love painting furniture and frames and I am also having so much fun sourcing for my little antique booth and creating pieces to go in there. Things were a little slow the last month or so. I still made rent but my check was small. I get my next check today or tomorrow so we will see how September went, really hoping for another big month of sales in October especially since I'm considering moving to a bigger space. This would double my rent at least if not much more so my measly $150 sales goal every month would have to at least double that.
 
Its not a lot of money but let me tell you - the peace of mind is so much nicer! There is no shipping, no positive or negative feedback, no returns, no photo taking or even really dealing with customers at all other than my work in shop days which are lots of fun and a nice "Mommy Break"! I like it a lot and I feel like I'm shying away from the online world a little more just because the stress and pressure of selling online is so much greater. I'm constantly worried about returns and bad feedback so much so that I can't even enjoy when I get a good sale!
 
Speaking of online selling, I'm continuing to move out my inventory, they haven't been huge sales but sales non-the-less, I had 7 "Cha Chings" over the last weekend. We are hoping to move into a new house sometime in the next 6 months so I've been in the process of Operation Prep The House. Which means packing things away and trying hard not to bring more home. This is also the nice thing about having a space to sell at because when I get new inventory for the store I can just bring it there right away vs storing it til it sells!
 
Well there's my adventures in Re-Sale for the week, I'll leave you with a couple of fun costume sales I've had and hopefully you all are having great weeks as well!
 

These are 2 Disney Store costumes I bought for a slammin' deal last week. They are both in excellent condition so I messaged the lady and asked if she would sell me both costumes for $20 ($10 each). She agreed so I ran and picked them up the same day and listed them the next. Pocahontas sold within a week for $28.95 with free shipping and then Rapunzel sold the day after for $34.95! I made about a $25 profit on both costumes after shipping and fees. Not too shabby!
 
They are shipping today, both to U.S. addresses (I've had a few international issues lately so I'm nervous about them now) and I risked my Top Rated status and marked no returns on Halloween costumes because of my Little Einstein's costume debacle last year and that I have heard people return them after Halloween so hopefully for the sake of my nerves these costumes go to 2 little girls who will love and use them well!

5 comments:

  1. I am totally in agreement regarding the stress of online selling and now you have me wondering if I should try a booth myself. I just have to find the right place for one.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Well I just agreed to go into a new space that is literally 3 or 4 times the size and equally bigger in rent, I'm nervous about it but feeling confident, we will see if the shop owner feels as confident with me she wants to think on it til Saturday!

      Delete
    2. I forgot to mention that I just love what you did with the chest of drawers! It's adorable!

      Delete
    3. Ah thanks Lorraine!! Start looking for antique shops with decent rent in your area I bet you would do really well with a space with all the markets you've done and the booths your hubby does! You've got a good eye for design!

      Delete
  2. Tis' the season for family portraits. I'm super swamped at the studio now too. I also just finished photographing two preschools. It's really crazy busy and, like you said, doesn't leave time for much else. But I'm glad for it!

    I used to freak over returns and feedback too. But got over it earlier this year. Not sure why, but it doesn't even phase me a bit anymore. Life is too short to worry about this crap!

    ReplyDelete