Thursday, July 14, 2011

Our Trash Diet Update!

Hi All!

Remember a couple of weeks ago when I posted about our family's decision to go on a "Trash Diet"? Well you can read about all the details
HERE! I missed updating you on our progress last week because I was in the hospital on trash day giving birth to my beautiful baby boy!

Even with being in the hospital and having lots of visitors I think our "diet" is going well so far! We have implemented a few new changes to our home to help us reduce our waste and also save money at the same time! We even got Grandma in on the process! She is from another area of the state where they don't have a recycling service yet. (By the way, I can't believe that, I know we would recycle less or not at all if we had to take our recyclables to the station ourselves. Central Washington really needs to get a recycling service.)

First off let me update you on our recycling progress. We were always very good recyclers before but with our home visit and some new knowledge about what is recyclable we have been sending even more to the recycle side of the trast vs the garbage part! I am happy to say that we only sent 2 full bags of garbage to our can this week and we FILLED our recycle can to the top! We did have a lot of boxes that we broke down but I think that we definitely made progress on that end!



We also have been sucessful in making sure that all of our food waste goes in the food waste bin and taken to the yard waste bucket! Before we would just toss the waste in our trash bin and send some scraps down the garbage disposal in our sink. I am making a concious effort to take all the peels and strawberry tops over to the bin instead of sending them down the sink. Plus now our septic system will be thanking us for this in the long run! But let me tell you, it took all week to fill our 2.5 gallon food waste bin and when my husband took the bag out to the yard waste can it was DISGUSTING and full of fuzzy goo! Luckily it has a filter on top and our house didn't smell bad from it at all. Plus it makes me happy that those food scraps are going to become useable compost material by the end of the process.


In the coming weeks I am going to look into ways to reduce waste and save money at the same time. I am interested to hear how you, my readers, do this in your homes. Do you make an effort to use fewer bottles or not buy paper towels?


With the arrival of our new baby I have also noticed that we are going through a TON of diapers already. Right now I am not motivated enough to start using cloth diapers on him but I am planning to look into part time cloth diapering for him in the coming months. They are a big investment up front but do save money and would reduce a substantial amount of waste going to the dump. Luckily I planned ahead before Mason was born and stocked up on hundreds of newborn and size 1 diapers because I knew that we would be needing them so I saved hundreds already in the process!


Stay tuned to our progress next week!

Disclosure: The Glad Products Company has provided me with the products you have seen above and the home visit from the City of Seattle to help with this program. I was not compensated in any other way and all opinions posted here are 100% my own.

No comments:

Post a Comment